The year is off to a strong and busy start for East High School Alumni, and we are excited to share our progress with you. We are all part of the most active high school alumni base in the world and agree there is something special about being a Scarlet. We have a scholarship endowment of more than $4.5 million, and we are able to award more than $185,000 in annual scholarships to deserving East High students for college, trade school and career training. We have a lot to be proud of, and over the past few months, the East High School Alumni Foundation and Association Boards have been moving various things forward that best position us for even greater success.
- Our Capital Campaign to raise $5 million for scholarships and improved facilities is well underway. Campaign Co-Chairs Dr. Steve Taylor and Tim Pearson are leading a volunteer committee, and thanks to robust early donations and pledges, we are more than a quarter toward our goal. In fact, some funds have already been spent for much-needed improvements to athletic facilities, and our scholarship endowment is growing.
- The East High School Alumni Foundation and Association have newly updated bylaws, and we are improving our focus for each organization. The law firm of Nyemaster Goode consulted us through the bylaws updates and new articles of incorporation, providing better definition for the two: The East High School Foundation is charged with fundraising for scholarships, programs and facilities. The East High School Alumni Association engages alumni and students, and facilitates the lifetime connection of Scarlets with one another and our alma mater through different events and programs. This year, Connie Fulk Boesen (Foundation President), Kris Miller Young (Association President) and Jeff White (Foundation Vice-President) are leading the charge, and as we formalize the updates and restructure the boards, we are looking for volunteer board and committee members to help further the organizations’ initiatives.
- We have hired a financial services firm for the East High School Alumni Foundation and Association. Following a search this winter, the firm of McGowan, Hurst, Clark & Smith has been retained to handle financial management of both groups, with oversight from our volunteer treasurers and a financials committee. Our endowment and financial needs have increased to the point a professional firm was warranted to help ensure we are being as responsible as possible with our investments and use of funds. All of our finances reside in the Iowa State Bank Trust and the Community Foundation of Iowa. Donations made to the Community Foundation by Iowans may qualify for tax exemptions. Please contact Connie Boesen at email@example.com for more information.
- We are planning a virtual Scarlet Celebration for June 4. We wish we could all come together in-person but believe it is best for this year to gather online. A benefit of virtual is that alumni and friends from anywhere in the world can join, and even as we get back together in-person next year, the online element may remain so we can attract as many out-of-town participants as possible. We plan to have the same energy as usual as we celebrate everything East High School and hope you will all take part. Meanwhile, the East High Golf Classic is scheduled for the weekend of May 15 – a wonderful outdoor opportunity to see everyone in-person!
- We are in the midst of an East High Alumni Association membership push themed “$20 for 2021.” All new memberships and renewals receive a commemorative East High School coin. Get yours today and please renew each year! These funds go toward administration costs for the EHS Alumni Foundation and Association.
We believe these efforts and others help make the East High School Alumni Foundation and Association stronger than ever, and we hope you will engage one way or another. Be proud and be active … Our students and fellow alumni need us. For more information on these groups and the initiatives, visit www.desmoinesehsalumni.com. And please reach out if you have any questions.
Connie Fulk Boesen (Foundation President)
Kris Miller Young (Association President)
Jeff White (Foundation Vice-President)